St Ann's Hill: From hillfort to country park
5 May to 28 October 2017
Our summer exhibition tells the story of some of the people and buildings that have shaped St Ann’s Hill. A prominent feature on the landscape of Chertsey, historical evidence shows that St Ann’s Hill has been used by humans since prehistoric times.
Pride of place in the exhibition is a J M W Turner sketchbook on loan from Tate Britain which contains studies of St Ann’s Hill drawn to illustrate Samuel Roger’s Poems published in 1834. Sometime between 1827 and 1830 Turner came to St Ann’s Hill to sketch the “villa and garden” of Charles James Fox, perhaps the hill’s most famous resident.
Today the hill is cared for by Runnymede Borough Council who, together with Historic England and the Surrey Wildlife Trust, ensures the historic and environmental importance of the site is maintained.
At Your Leisure
11 February 2017 to 20 January 2018
In the latter part of the 19th century and the early 20th century trade union power forced through industrial legislation resulting in half day closing on Saturdays. This combined with a rise in wages, and more disposable income, meant the workers had increased leisure time and more money to spend on it. This exhibition looks at the historical background to some of the activities taking place in Runnymede, which now form part of today’s vast leisure industry.”